Josh's contact information:

Josh's email address is: joshua.boaz@myldsmail.net
His mission address is:
Elder Joshua Boaz,
Chile Rancagua Mission,
German Riesco 230 Suite 703,
Rancagua,
Chile

His Pouch address, for letters only, is:
Elder Joshua Boaz,
Chile Rancagua Mission,
POB 30150,
Salt Lake City, Ut. 84130-0150 USA
(**the pouch address is for postcards or letters that are single sheet, folded into three-panels, and taped at the top only - NO envelopes.)

Monday, July 26, 2010

July 26, 2010

I’m Glad They Called Me on a Mission!!!! July 26, 2010

Hola Mamita y Papita,

This week has flown by just like the week before it....and just like that, I HAVE BEEN TRANSFERRED TO SANTIAGO AGAIN!!!! But I will get back to that at the end of the email. I haven’t really told you about the weather that we’ve been having lately, but it’s been very wet and cold lately.....NOT my favorite. There has been heavy rain about 3 days in the week for the past for two weeks and we have been keeping warm but VERY wet. We even had the wonderful opportunity of covering two “mediaguas” with nylon in the rain so theyS wouldn’t get wet and ruined. Mediaguas are mini-emergency homes made for the people who lost their houses in the earthquake. They were made for Eliana, our recent convert of 62 years old. She is so alive and active and reminds me of a female version of dad because of her energy. I love eating lunch with her every Tuesday. She is progressing really slowly but well. The majority people of older ages generally don’t have too much education and need more time to understand the Gospel, but it definitely is a blessing to see them grow. The Lord surely blesses the humble and willing of heart. I can stand extreme cold, snow, or heat...but rain? Never a favorite of mine. It is sort of fun working with an umbrella and Elder Osorio and I have a blast while we are knocking doors. We get along great but he has a few habits that bug the crap out of me. I guess we all have something a little annoying.  He has a very strong character and is very direct with the people. That is what the members here need to change and become better. He comes from rough high school years where he was a VERY rebellious member but his change to follow the Gospel has allowed him to not tolerate iniquity now and really teach by the spirit. I am putting a little bit more love into his heart as well. Hahaha!!!! I have a little softer heart and perhaps didn’t use enough courage to tell the people straight forward what they need to be worthier but I feel that my love towards them helped them become more united and help out a little more.
The time in Peralillo has passed by much faster than I wanted it to, and I can’t help thinking that I didn’t do ALL that was in my power to help the Branch grow like it could have, but we worked earnestly. The country areas of Chile are my favorite and I have enjoyed being surrounded by small-town people, vineyards, little corner-stores out of houses, and animals (horses, cows, goats, etc.). Our area of Peralillo is pure country-side with many little towns. The plaza/park in the middle of the town of Peralillo is incredible!!! It has many humongous trees in it with park benches and a big water fountain in the middle of it. Our new house was a miracle because the house we were living in was a shipwreck and we had to move out fast. The electric sockets burned out, we didn’t have light or water in our kitchen, there wasn’t very much room, and the floor was never clean no matter how much we swept (trust me, we tried to keep it clean!!!!) The new house is two stories but we don’t use the second floor because there is enough room downstairs. The only thing is that it’s really cold at night. Surprisingly, I haven’t gotten sick this winter yet and (knock on wood) I don’t think I will either.
On Saturdays, we usually had Mutual with the youth and cleaned the church. Every Thursday recently, we traveled to Marchigue (another town in the sector) to look for less-active priesthood holders. We found Brother Beas (Elder) and Brother Yañez (Ex-Bishop) and their sons as well. Now, in two weeks we planned for a BBQ and soccer in the chapel with them and the other men who are coming to church. It will be good to reactivate the men and get some leadership into the Branch again. I realize I won’t see MANY of the fruits of my labors in Peralillo but I realize more and more eveyday that I am “laying the foundation of a great work;” and that gives me sufficient pleasure in what I’m doing. I love these people so much and only want that they can receive eternal blessings. I never thought I would get to that mentality before, but WOW...what a blessing to “see the people through God’s eyes.” That was one of my original goals from the MTC.
Alejandro, our first counselor’s son, was preparing himself to go into the army as a career instead of serve a mission for sometime. But I interviewed him the other week and we had a very spiritual time together in which I was able to help him see the need to “serve the Lord with all his heart, might, mind, and strength.” We prayed and he felt the need to pray personally about his mission. It was an amazing moment and I felt so happy to help him to see his life a little more through the Lord’s eyes. All of my converts are doing well. Yanett, Barbara, Javiera, Jocelyn, Giselle, Alexandra, Eliana. Sebastian still hasn’t been confirmed as a member with the Holy Ghost now for 3 Sundays. I am nervous for him. He has been passing trials lately. Pray for this humble 20 year old. He is incredible. I have learned how IMPORTANT it is to receive the Holy Ghost RIGHT AFTER being baptized in the water. If not, a person does not have a complete baptism. It is invalid until we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. I have a gained a large added importance in the influence of this gift after baptism so Satan doesn't have added power over us. It is necessary.
I know, leaving Peralillo was sort of a big bummer but I am excited to work with my new companion, Elder Coloma. He has the same time in the mission as me and is from Talcahuano, Chile (WOOHOO, my third latin companion in-a-row. 4th overall!!!). In fact, he was my Zone Leader in Santa Cruz one change ago (6 weeks back). Now we are Zone Leaders together in the most southern part Santiago called “San Bernardo”. Our ward is called Quimey. It is the biggest zone out of the Santiago Zones (16 missionaries) and we have our hands full with many baptismal dates in the Zone but I am stoked to work with this Loco (“Crazy”). He is a great guy and we got along great in Santa Cruz. Like I said before, I am going to miss SOOOOO MUCH being in Peralillo because it was an experience that I will never have again in my life. Welp, I explained some of the things that mom wanted and I hope that helped you get a better idea about how things and the work are here. ;-P
One last thing, I might need money for new shoes soon. I have only used one pair of the Ecco shoes this whole time and they have helped up incredibly!!!! I took them to a shoe workshop to get re-stitched and they are impecable now but underneath is wearing out a bit much. The other shoes have NO support and don’t help me with all the walking we do. Don’t send anything yet, but I will keep you posted. I love you all! Take care of yourselves too much. Lol! 

Con amor,
Elder Boaz

1 comment:

  1. If you ever need to stay in Santiago, Bellas Artes is the greatest-coolest area to be. Check it out: http://www.rentapartmentsantiago.cl/

    ReplyDelete